Re: FCC chief urges standards to make mobile phones global

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 11:16:42AM -0500, Lisa LaNell Mauldin wrote:

> From:
> http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/ajc/epaper/editions/today/business_93b
> 217cd517580880022.html

> Since most of these bands are occupied by government and commercial
> licensees, the Clinton administration and private sector, under FCC
> prodding, have recently
> agreed to conduct studies to determine the potential for increased spectrum
> sharing and reduced interference.
>
> Given the billions of dollars already invested in licenses and construction,
> the stakes are enormous for both individual countries and mobile network
> operators.

If I was cynical, I might imagine that the FCC was disappointed to find
that the 3G spectrum that in US had already been allocated or sold off,
was in other countries earning billions of pounds worth of revenue for
their respective governments. If the US 3G spectrum could be sold again,
then it would be a win-win situation for all. :)

Andrew Scott .................... http://purl.oclc.org/net/andrewscott/
Telstra Research Labs, Melbourne ......................................