Re: WAP capability detection

Actually, in WAP 1.2 enabled devices, you can use CC/PP (though it is
called UAPROF, since it was an early version, based on the two W3C Notes we
published). However, it is optional, not mandatory, so some vendors may
choose not to implement it. What will be the status in future versions (if
more than optional) is not clear, although there is growing evidence that
you can actually gain a lot by making it mandatory.

There is considerable cross-membership between the CC/PP group and the WAP
UAPROF group, and I also discuss issues with the chair of the WAP group
regularly. So essentially, we have an ongoing exchange of requirements and
specification work.

In summary, CC/PP solves this problem, but we can not force people to
implement it, even if we thought that was a good idea :-)

Johan

At 13:23 2000-05-05 -0400, Schwartz, Mark wrote:
>I have seen scripts for reading the HTTP_ACCEPT variable to see if a device
>is WAP enabled.  I have also seen a list of client headers from WAP enabled
>devices.  Is there a central authority collecting client header information?
>How can I ensure I provide WAP content only to WAP enabled devices?  Is the
>CC/PP project supposed to address this?
>
>Thanks!
>
> > Mark Schwartz

                          Johan HJELM
       Ericsson Research, User Applications Group
          Currently visiting engineer at the W3C
Chair, CC/PP Working Group and WCA Interest Group
              The World Wide Web Consortium
                          hjelm@w3.org
    http://www.w3.org/People/W3Cpeople.html#Hjelm
     Fax +1-617-258 5999, Phone +1-617-253-9630
    MIT/LCS, 545 Tech. Sq. Cambridge MA 02139 USA
         Opinions are personal, always my own,
   and not necessarily those of Ericsson or the W3C.