Re: WAP and its competitors

From: James Ewing <jim@ewingdata.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:42:19 +0100
To: <sandeep@wde.org>, "Masayasu Ishikawa" <mimasa@w3.org>
Cc: <smarsden@etranslate.com>, <www-mobile@w3.org>

> Well, if XHTML Basic 2 is seemingly the way to go, in terms of the W3C
> anyway, is there any use learning WML ? Infact doesn't XML make WML
> obsolete too ? Surely an XML DTD would be used when the document
> encounters a mobile device, and format the page accordinly. If browsers
> then support (limited) HTML as well as WML, we won't have to move to
> WML, everyone would just start using the greatly versatile XML.
>
> Or am I making no sense here ? :)

Actually, WML is 100% XML. You can even map other XML languages to WML by
using an XSL style sheet.

The language that the W3C is currently pushing is XHTML (among others).
AFAIK, this is basically HTML reformed with a DTD and the XML requirements
for well-formedness and lower case tags.

Cheers,

Jim Ewing