Fw: [Moderator Action] Re: WAP Competitors ?

Rejected mail. Please confirm your From address before you send any
message to the list.

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Andrea Hoffmann <andrea@girigiri.co.jp>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 22:06:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Subject: [Moderator Action] Re: WAP Competitors ?
  • To: Sandeep Hundal <sandeep@wde.org>
  • CC: kt@nttlabs.com, www-mobile@w3.org
Hi Sandeep, hi all,

> Actually I had a feeling that NTT's services might be a WAP competitor....

at least in Japan this is more than true since NTT Docomo's i-mode
is *much* more popular than the wap service of the main competitor
cdmaone (which uses hdml and not wml by the way). according to
japanese magazines however there will probably be a merge between
wap and i-mode in the future.

What I read so far is that both NTT and CdmaOne are trying to find
a joined aggreement and want to create a standard combining the
advantages of both systems in cooperation with the W3C. I also
read that future i-mode mobile phones will be wap compliant (=can
access wap pages).

Besides wap and i-mode at least in Japan there is one more
quite new service called skyweb which has been developed by
J-Phone (http://www.j-phone.com). The service uses mml (mobile
markup language). Unfortunately I could not found any specs
about it until now but this short note in Japanese:
http://www.fromtokyo.com/i-con/mml.htm, which says that you can
use pages made for i-mode also for MML based skyweb.

MML also seems to be not yet submitted to the W3C...

> Has W3C collaborated with NTT on the development of WAP or any
> recommendations ?? Is C-HTML something the W3C is looking into ??

well, C-HTML was at least submitted to the W3C as a note:

http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-compactHTML-19980209/

I would be very happy to hear any news and hints about
this topic since I started recently developing a phone
based internet service in Japan and would like to learn
as much as possible in this new area. I will also try to
answer any questions of other people here to my best
knowlegde...

Since this is my first mail here I hope that this is also
ok as my introduction to the list. I am still very new to
the mobile world so please excuse if I maybe wrongfully
mixed some terms and standards.

If you are interested, I would also like to publish the
URL of our new mobile phone service here as soon as the
prototype has passed the alpha-status.

CU,
Andrea Hoffmann
--
Andrea Hoffmann - Webmaster & Product Development
webmaster@girigiri.co.jp -- http://girigiri.co.jp