Obvious user interface addressed?

There's one badly needed markup language we'd all like to learn and
that's a universal voice markup language. Spotted half a dozen of them
and material suggests it sits dead in the water.

Lately, large investments were made to secure proprietary server-based
voice gateways. Not a good sign: this is going to tie us into operators
and proprietary solutions if we want to deploy voice enabled services.

Recent progress in embedded technologies should allow us to foresee
decent TTS and VR at the client level.

How could we help W3C with a credible recommendation on this?

PS: I bet lots of people would hold their current developments if there
was a chance to get around those gateways.

Daniel Bertrand
http://www.say-parrot.com