RE: WAP Competitors ?

U are absolutely right when u say that Java can be used with WAP
(infact I am implementing WTLS using KVM! though I am facing some
problems as DatagramSocket is not ported to KVM...and WAP uses
UDP for communcation.).

Coming back to the original question:
The point is why do I need WAP at all if I can use the communication
libraries provided by Java...(KVM has a socket implementation). So instead
of going thorugh WAP protocol stack, the Java browser can use the
stack provided by KVM.....and communicate to the gateway....

As regards royalty question, I think u r right.

Regards,
Sandeep

PS: BTW do u know if anybody has tried implementing the WAP suite
    using KVM?

Sandeep Jain                    Office: MTH 405
Graduate Student                Phone : 765-494-5006
Computer Science Department     URL: http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/jain/
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1398.