Fw: [Moderator Action] RE: XML-HTML-XHTML-WML-VXML.........**ML

(rejected mail)

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Sunny Hundal <sunny@snoop.co.uk>
  • Subject: [Moderator Action] RE: XML-HTML-XHTML-WML-VXML.........**ML
  • To: "K.Sridhar Babu" <sbabu@noida.hclt.com>, <www-mobile@w3.org>
Sridhar,

if I understand you right, you want to know how to present the same content
to different devices right?

Well, XML works with something called DTDs, which define the kind of data
there is, and you usally have to use another language / parser to present
the data to the device.
What you do is actually make XML detect the kind of device, and then make it
only display the data suitable for that device.

Let me give you an example. I could use PHP, a scripting language, to parse
the XML and turn into something readable by all browers (i.e. html). Or if
the PHP detects a WAP browser, then it can format it as WML and give the
code as the WML mime-type, and the relevant byte-code.

You can use whatever you want instead of PHP, like Perl, Tcl, ASP, or even
XSL, which is the stylesheet language for XML, though not that widely used
(though I could be wrong).

Hope that made sense :)

/sunny
sunny@snoop.co.uk