Re: Question about WAP + HTML + CSS2

> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:34:45 -0400 (EDT)
> To: <www-mobile@w3.org>
> From: Tapio Markula <tapio1@gamma.nic.fi>
> Subject: Question about WAP + HTML + CSS2

> http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/Teaching/WAP.html

I didn't fully understand which problem your proposal was attempting to solve.
Are you suggesting that documents could be authored with HTML and CSS in a way
that would be more conducive to a WAP gateway server to generate a WML deck and
WMLScript based on specific properties in the UAProf (CC/PP)?

Rather than rely completely on imperfect knowledge in the transcoding proxy,
would it not be a better approach to use specific generated content at
an orignating server (e.g. XHTML with XSLT influenced by UAProf) and
produce compact binary forms (e.g. Binary XML). This allows "targetted
content" to be compacted and cached as smaller units throughout the web.

It does seem to be the case that separating presentation and semantic (e.g.
your use of CSS) can result in smaller bandwidth requirements, without
sacrificing bitmap vs text-only display on handheld devices. Unfortunately,
the WAP architecture does not currently include the notion of an addressable
document object model or the notion of any presentational markup or
attachable style mechanism.

$.02