From: Will Robertson <wspr81@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2018 5:22 PM
To: Murray Sargent <murrays@exchange.microsoft.com>
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>; William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>; www-math@w3.org
Subject: Re: [MathML 4] Add rules to map from non-combining to combining accents

On 6 Nov 2018, at 11:39 am, Murray Sargent <murrays@exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Btw, I’m the UTC member who wrote the Unicode math alphanumeric proposals and I recommended against having the holes when the math alphanumerics were standardized (Unicode 3.1, March 2001). I was overruled on the basis of the principle that Unicode shouldn’t have duplicate characters ☹.

Ah well, it’s nice to know you tried! The sanity of that decision puzzled me at first.

From an interface perspective a more pressing problem to me is the omission of lowercase sans Greek (when bold lowercase sans Greek does exist).

We were discussing putting this to the Unicode Consortium to add at some point but I think the discussions were stalled around collecting evidence that lowercase sans Greek was actually used in extant mathematics. I went looking a while back but It wasn’t an easy thing to search for examples for.

From my perspective, LaTeX has always had an interface to access these symbols even if they’re little used, so there’s that. And having bold but not regular case introduces a challenging interface problem for users.

I know this is a high-jack of the current discussion but is it worth trying to push this forward again?

Regards,
Will