RE: [MathML 4] Add rules to map from non-combining to combining accents

Agreed. It’s lamentable that holes in 1D400..1D7FF were put in where characters already existed in the Letterlike Symbols block (2100..214F), e.g., math italic ℎ is 210E, not 1D455. Industry math code uses the current definitions and filling in the holes would break that code or not be interchangeable. So we have to live with the encoding as is.

Btw, I’m the UTC member who wrote the Unicode math alphanumeric proposals and I recommended against having the holes when the math alphanumerics were standardized (Unicode 3.1, March 2001). I was overruled on the basis of the principle that Unicode shouldn’t have duplicate characters ☹.

Murray

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2018 4:45 PM
To: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Cc: www-math@w3.org
Subject: Re: [MathML 4] Add rules to map from non-combining to combining accents

On 05/11/2018 18:45, William F Hammond wrote:
> I think it would be helpful if your W3C group (does it
> currently exist?)

Not formally chartered however the group is of course on this list. and
as you see, handling errata and extension suggestions.

> went on record saying that the holes
> should be filled.

I'm not sure. It would have been better if they hadn't been there but
they have been there many years now, so if they were "filled" it
wouldn't simplify the code that is dealing with them, just add extra
complication that had to deal with both possibilities.

David

Disclaimer

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is: Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, Oxford OX2 8DR, United Kingdom. Please see our Privacy Notice<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nag.co.uk%2Fcontent%2Fprivacy-notice&data=02%7C01%7Cmurrays%40exchange.microsoft.com%7Ca3f5e9e8fd3a48071e0708d643815a3b%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636770620179419121&sdata=yyOasjYzMhRjh0KrFB4mcnyyHKoq3kG7siwOTL%2BKcNA%3D&reserved=0> for information on how we process personal data and for details of how to stop or limit communications from us.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business.