Re: [XML-Entities] Question regarding some Unicode sequences

On 17/05/2014 02:45, Shervin Afshar wrote:
> Hello,
 >
 > I noticed that the Unicode sequences of more than one codepoints are
 > assigned to some entities which already had single Unicode codepoints
 > representation at the time of addition to MathML; e.g. "race" entity
 > from isoamsb set is mentioned as U+223D U+0331 (REVERSED TILDE,
 > COMBINING MACRON BELOW) while it can also be presented as U+22CD. Is
 > there any specific reason for this preference?
 >
 > Thanks.
 >
 > Shervin ↪ shervinafshar.name <http://www.shervinafshar.name>

Thanks for your comments,

I suspect that one just got missed, sorry. We worked hard to get rid of
most of the
  multiple character entities and the remaining ones (including race)
are listed here

http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007doc/#chars_math-multiple-tables

Given that the original ISO definitions had no font mappings and just
low resolution images,
giving unicode definitions to the set was always something of a black
art, with room for human error....

While I think it _could_ have been defined the way you suggest I don't
think it should change now, it's
been that way in mathml (and now html) for a long time, and 22CD, if you
need it, already
has two names bsime (from isaomsr) and backsimeq so adding a third name
for that symbol
wouldn't really help much and just lead to incompatible definitions
being used.

David