Re: Questions about Elementary Math

On 24/06/2014 15:56, Grégory Pakosz wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have two questions regarding elementary math as specified by MathML 3.0:
>

> 1) Is there a renderer out there that supports rendering additions,
> substractions, multiplications, and divisions with <mstack>,
> <mscarries>, and <mlongdiv> ? I failed to find one so far (downgrading
> IE to IE9 + installing a plugin isn't really future proof).

Possibly currently only MathPlayer supports it natively, and as you
indicate that is not available in current IE
  however it's possible to transform the markup to mathml2 for rendering
in other clients.

The MathJax "content mathml" extension and the firefox mathml-mml3ff
addon both work by using some XSLT of mine
to translate the markup to mathml2 mtable.

https://code.google.com/p/web-xslt/source/browse/trunk/ctop

Most of that content mathml to presentation transformation has also been
re-encoded in javascript to avoid the XSLT stage
(which is very slow in chrome) although not currently the elementary
math part, that shouldn't be hard to add, given some time.

> 2) Despite being XML, <mstack> relies on children order instead of
> rationale behind this choice?

Positional children are used quite a lot in the mathml design: mfrac
msub etc  also do not have named arguments.

> Thanks you,
>
> Gregory

David