From: Adam Sobieski [mailto:adamsobieski@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 1:14 AM
To: www-math@w3.org
Subject: Math Working Group Charter

Math Working Group,

Greetings.  As some of you might be aware, the Math Working Group charter commenced in 2006 and the charter, extended in March of 2012 and March of 2013, expires in March of 2014 (http://www.w3.org/Math/Documents/Charter2006.html).

I was wondering whether any others might be interested in discussing the charter and some of the tasks ahead, in this mailing list, and, beyond extending the charter, expanding the charter.

The case for continuing the Math Working Group as a chartered W3C Working Group is clear; Web-related use cases have been indicated since before 1995, advancing scholarly and scientific communication, and, with digital books and textbooks upcoming, there are important new use cases to consider.  It is posited that a discussion can be phrased as about whether to extend or to expand the Math Working Group charter, and, if to expand the charter, in which ways to expand the charter, towards including which tasks overlapping with the work of other groups and towards including which tasks not overlapping with the work of any other group.

Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to, the production, improvement and versioning of formats, interfaces, and features for the input, semantics, indexing, search and retrieval, processing, exchange, presentation and visualization of logical, mathematical, scientific, notational and diagrammatic knowledge and content.  Topics include, but are not limited to, scholarly and scientific communication and education.  I would like to broach with colleagues in this mailing list the topics of the Working Group charter and, beyond extending the charter, expanding the Math Working Group charter.

Kind regards,

Adam Sobieski