Re: default for ma@symmetric

On 09/02/2014 00:29, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 08/02/2014 20:57, Neil Soiffer wrote:
>> Speaking for myself and not the group, I believe the default was meant
>> to be 'true' and that the 'false' value is a copy/paste error from the
>> entry above. In MathML 1 and 2, the default was "true".
>>
>> The operator dictionary only lists a value when the value is true -- if
>> a value isn't given and it is relevant, then it's value is false. There
>> is some text a few paragraphs above that explain that.
>>
>> The word "glossary" is a typo of some kind. It might have been something
>> tied to the glossary markup for "axis" a few words before it. Thanks for
>> catching that.
>

> This seems like a good analysis. Since we are just about to finalise a
> "2nd edition" draft I'll take those as editorial fixes and update the
> draft document.
>
> Thanks Davide for catching these.
>
> David

Neil later checked the archives and the decision to change the default
to false and add entries making it true for brackets in the operator
dictionary was deliberate before MathML3. This fits better with arrows
and also with the presentation style used for boolean attributes in the
appendix (although that could have been changed of course).

However as Davide commented, the text description of the symmetric
attribute got garbled in the process. It is now hopefully consistent at

http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter3-d.html#presm.mo.dict.attrs

Sorry for the confusion,

David