Stretchy equal sign for commutative diagrams

From: Frédéric WANG <fred.wang@free.fr>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:02:31 +0100
To: "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>
Hi all,

We are implementing the AMScd extension in MathJax:

https://github.com/mathjax/MathJax/issues/420

and one horizontal stretchy operator that is needed is the character for
two parallel horizontal bars. We use the equal sign "=" and it seems
that LaTeXML does the same.

I'm wondering if others have considered this operator and whether they
used a different Unicode code point for that. The equal sign is not
stretchy by default (that makes sense) and I don't see constructions in
the Open Type Math table of e.g. the STIX fonts. This is not available
in Gecko either. That's probably not hard to implement (one could repeat
the equal sign or use the middle glyphs available for the "Double Right
Arrow"), but I just want to coordinate with other projects and keep
things consistent.

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic