leading/trailing spaces of operators

From: Frédéric WANG <fred.wang@free.fr>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:41:07 +0200
To: "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>
Hi,

One contributor to the Mozilla project is working on some improvements
regarding the parsing of length values. We have two questions about
leading/trailing spaces in <mo>:

- Can they be negative? This is allowed by the RelaxNG schema and the
spec does not seem to say anything against it. However the section
3.1.8.2 contains "MathML elements that permit 'negative spacing', namely
mspace, mpadded, and mtext" which would suggest that mo is excluded
(although I'm not sure why mtext is there).

- I think I already asked it before, but how relative values should be
interpreted? Or more precisely, what is the default value that should be
used as a reference? I think it is the one set by the dictionary but I
just want to be sure. For example:

<mstyle rspace="110%">
<mi>a</mi>
<msub>
<mo rspace="10px">+</mo>
<mi>A</mi>
</msup>
<mi>b</mi>
</mstyle>

   As I read the spec, the spacing around the <msub> should be 110% of
the default value "thickmathspace", not 110% or the current value "10px".

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic