Re: semantics, annotation, annotation-xml in mathml 3.0

On 01/10/2012 23:52, Jim Michaels wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/
>
> 5.2.1 The |semantics| element
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter5.html#mixing.elements.semantics>

5.2.2 The |annotation| element
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter5.html#mixing.elements.annotation>

5.2.3 The |annotation-xml| element
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter5.html#mixing.elements.annotation.xml>
>
>  not only is the TOC missing visible <> or </>, so is the document.
> so there are 3, not just 1. this makes it hard for the reader to
> dermine whether or not the elements are void elements or not. please
> fix. thanks.

Thanks for your comments. Note that "void element" is HTML5 terminology
that doesn't really have a direct analogue in XML. Any element may use
headings is only a mild hint not anything that has any real information
content. In the particular case of annotation and annotation-xml they
are quite likely to be used in both forms as they may either have
content or reference external content via an attribute.

<annotation>zzzz</annotation>

<annotation src="example.com"/>

<annotation src="example.com"></annotation>

are all valid.

Most element references in the document just use the element name rather
than verbatim tag markup, as grammatically that is more natural. The
name of the element is "semantics" not "<semantics>". That said, most
section headings that mention elements do use the start tag form, to
highlight the element definitions, so I have changed these three to
match in the editors draft for consistency. Please see

http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/appendixf.html#d7e32960

Thanks again for your comments,

David