Re: Embellished operators

The case I was referring to is "an mrow whose arguments consist (in any
order) of one embellished operator and zero or more space-like elements" is
considered an embellished operator. The rules for how this stretches are
not clear because the definition as to what its unstretched "normal' size
are not specified (the consensus is that the size of the space-like
elements should be taken into account for its normal size).  But I think
this case is extremely rare in practice.

The table case is used a lot (ok, some).  The rules for that are (I think)
clear in "3.2.5.8.3 Horizontal Stretching Rules":  "... should stretch to
cover the width of the other direct sub-expressions in the given element
(or in the same table column)...".  Or to specifically answer your question
-- it should stretch to cover the widest of the non-stretchy column
entries, not just the text in the mover (but it needs to stretch to match
that at a minimum).

Hmm -- if you wanted to prevent the mover from stretching to covering all
the other cells, then I'd probably add a zero-width mspace.  But that would
be in an (implied) mrow, and thus considered an embellished operator...
which is exactly what I do NOT want to happen in that case.  I wish I could
remember why that rule was added.

    Neil