Re: gcedil

On 06/03/2012 11:10, Zarella Rendon wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I’m using the w3centities-f.ent file on the W3C website as a reference
> and I’m getting an error on a missing reference to lower-case gcedil. Is
> there such a character, and if so, can you add it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Zarella

Hi Zarella,

U+0123 is LATIN SMALL LETTER G WITH CEDILLA which is I suppose the
letter you asked for.

Given that U+0122 (LATIN CAPITAL LETTER G WITH CEDILLA) is in the latin2
entity set I've no idea why the lower case version is not, however this
appears to have always been the case, google just turned up this
documentation of the original SGML set for example

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/tei/isolat2.html

also I just checked my copy of Goldfarb's SGML handbook (page 508) and
again it only has uppercase.

We really try hard not to add any new names as in an XML context moving
a document from one place to another that uses catalogues to load
different versions of the entity sets means that documents flip from
being well formed to not well formed and so the whole document is
rejected as a fatal error. Also now these entity names are baked into
html and so changing the set means updating every web browser.

So, sorry you have to define the entity locally, or just use & # x 0 1 2
3  ;

David