Re: Error in RelaxNG schema

On 02/07/2012 14:16, Frédéric WANG wrote:

> As for the align attributes, shouldn't it be
>
> '\s*(top|bottom|center|baseline|axis)(\s*-?[0-9]+)?\s*'
>
> otherwise, it seems it becomes mandatory to have a space before the
> rownumber (which is not the case e.g. in the page I mentioned).

After some investigation and discussion in the Working Group, we do want
to confirm the text of MathML3 is correct that there should be a space,
that is:

align="baseline 3" not align="baseline3"

Looking at three currently popular implementations that support this;
firefox supports both forms, mathplayer and mathjax only support the
form with a space.

The text of MathML3 specifies (because of the "," syntax in the
attribute table) that a space is required. The text of MathML2 is less
clear but can also be read as requiring the space.

Thus making the schema match the text and require a space seems to be
the correct thing to do. We are sorry the confusion has lead to mozilla
having a test file that was previously reported as valid that is
reported as invalid by the updated schema.

The Relax NG schema and derived XSD and DTD files have been updated at

http://www.w3.org/Math/RelaxNG
http://www.w3.org/Math/XMLSchema
http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD

(The version of the schema at the main W3C validator site has not been
updated yet.)

The Changes log has been updated in the draft MathML3 spec

http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/appendixf-d.html#changes.mathml3.02e-3.0

David Carlisle
For the Math WG.