RE: Styles of using p-MathML

I had thought that perhaps the simplest p-MathML markup would not be
sufficient to disambiguate some cases, though it has worked for me so
far.

MathType markup is very close to Formulator, but it seems to me that it
declares style information a bit more often than is needed. I was
wondering if the current style is in response to specific situations
where you found it necessary.

I wish I understood the design philosphy behind MathMagic. Besides the
abundance of style information, there is <semantics>, which seems to
cause problems with some display engines. By the way, I have also never
been able to use the LaTeX output of MathMagic. Here is a comparison of
this same equation from MathType and MathMagic.

MathType
--------
\[{\hat G^{(T)}} = \frac{1}{T}\sum\limits_{t = m + 1}^T {{\pi ^t}} \]

MathMagic
---------
\[{\hat{G}}^{\mathrm{(}T\mathrm{)}}\mathrm{{=}}\frac{1}{T}\mathop{\sum}\limits_{{t}\mathrm{{=}}{m}\mathrm{{+}}{1}}\limits^{T}{{\mathit{\pi}}^{t}}
\]

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012, at 04:06 PM, Paul Topping wrote:
> One of the choices equation editors have to make is whether to generate
> MathML that reflects the fonts and styles assigned within their editing
> window. This seems to be the choice made by MathMagic whereas Formulator
> and MathType (my product) leaves this out. Since the MathML is not
> likely to be rendered in a context where those choices make sense or can
> be controlled easily, I believe leaving this out makes more sense.
> Perhaps MathMagic figures it is best to generate it so you can remove it
> if you don't want it.
>
> After a quick glance, MathType and Formulator output look similar.
> MathType uses numerical character references (eg, &#x005E;) whereas
> Formulator uses character names (eg, &circ;). The names are more
> readable but numerical refs are more reliable. To be fair though, &circ;
> might be ok everywhere and perhaps Formulator uses numbers for those
> references that are not usually supported in web browsers.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Paul

                          wherever you are