Namespace prefix or not?

From: Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 15:54:20 -0500
To: "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>
Seems odd asking such a fundamentally naive
question so late in the game, but...

As we all know, you can include MathML in XHTML
either by declaring and using a namespace
prefix, m: by tradition, or by placing
an xmlns namespace declaration on _each_
math element.

I have always preferred the prefixed form
--- seems more readable, perhaps more compact
in practice (though I never tested).
I have the vague recollection that early versions of
MathPlayer _required_ the prefixed form for IE to trigger it(?)

But now I find that
   http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/author/creatingpages.htm
prefers the NON-prefixed form for xhtml.
Moreover, the <mumble mumble> validator at w3,
http://validator.w3.org/, has nice analysis,
but is dtd-based and only recognizes the NON-prefixed
form. I've never found such a convenient online
service doing relaxng validations (so do it at home).

So, maybe I mis-remembered MathPlayer's requirements,
or am forgetting some other reason...
Are there any remaining reasons (besides taste) to prefer
the prefixed form?

bruce

PS: No need to mention that html5 doesn't want the prefix;
in fact: PLEASE DONT! :>