Re: Speech Synthesis and Recognition of Mathematical and Scientific Content

One could use annotation-xml to embed SSML or other "rich" speech formats,
but why?  As you point out, there already exist projects to convert the
MathML to speech directly.  MathPlayer [1] (which my company distributes
for free) has done that for years and works with IE.  It can be used with a
large variety of assistive technology software[2].  It is by far the most
widely used math accessibility tool out there.  The latest version
(MathPlayer 3, public release 1) [3] allows for many options to customize
the speech to the needs of the user and/or subject matter.  It allows for
various styles of speech.  You could even write your own rules/speech if
you don't like what MathPlayer does, although that is not easy
(modifying/customizing existing rules is not hard though).  Using
annotation-xml hard codes in speech and forces a "one size fits all"
approach -- it seems the wrong way to go.

There are problem with the way speech engines speak math.  You can hear
examples at [4].

By exploring some of the references, you should be able to get a better
appreciation of what has already been done in this area.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~

[1]  http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer
[2]  http://www.dessci.com/en/solutions/access/atsupport.htm
[3]
http://news.dessci.com/2011/02/epub-3-first-public-draft-brings-enhanced-math-support-via-mathml.html