Re: An alternative input method for presentational MathML

On 05/06/2010, at 2:27 AM, Christian Lerch wrote:

> I want to propose to the community an alternative input method for presentational MathML, consisting of:
> 	• An ASCII-based DSL (domain specific language), called EULER, specifically designed for expressing mathematical formulas as a linear string of symbols.

I'm usually blasé about these matters so take this comment with a pinch of salt, but is it alright to have a math input method called Euler and a math font called Euler as well?

> Despite being easy to learn and - unlike TeX - highly readable it offers huge expressive power that is believed to cover even advanced mathematical notation requirements.

New variants of TeX can input mathematics in unicode:

http://latex-alive.tumblr.com/post/665558008/unicode-math-in-a-picture

My highly subjective personal opinion on markup for mathematics is that TeX is nearly as minimal as you want to get after you start writing in unicode.

> EULER is still work in progress. It has stabilized but it still is in BETA and the language and its tool will most likely undergo some changes before its final release later this year. All kind of thoughts you might have about EULER, your criticism, concerns, encouragment, enthusiasm, etc is all highly welcome, and in fact very much needed in this phase of the project.

Have you done a comparison against Murray Sargeant's "nearly plain-text maths" ideas?

http://unicode.org/notes/tn28/

-- Will