madruwb notation

From: Frédéric WANG <fred.wang@free.fr>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:24:44 +0100
To: "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>
CC: rydarab@ucam.ac.ma
Hello,

While discussing with Azzeddine Lazrek about the madruwb notation, he
told me that there are several variants for drawing the symbol:

- The one given in the MathML 3 spec is with a lam letter:
http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/image/madruwb12.png
- However, it seems that a "right angle" is also common:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/Arabic_mathematical_factorial.PNG
- Apparently, the "right angle" can also be oriented the other
direction. Azzedine mentioned “Florian Cajori, A History of mathematical
notations, Vol. 2” , p. 74 (notation used in 1827).

I wonder whether the direction of the right angle depends on the
"overall directionality" of formulas... Also, I'm not sure whether these
right angle notations are exactly equivalent to "right bottom" and "left
bottom". Maybe some arabic people can tell us more about these variants
of madruwb and whether it would be interesting to add new values for the
"notation" attribute of menclose...

Frédéric Wang