Can text in mathematics be made to use a specific font?

From: J.Fine <j.fine@open.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 14:43:28 +0000
To: "'www-math@w3.org'" <www-math@w3.org>
Hello

Apologies if this question is already answered in an obvious place, but can I arrange for text within mathematics to use the same font as the ambient document?  You can assume that I know ahead of time what that font is.

Perhaps it's waiting on: http://www.w3.org/TR/mathml-for-css/.   Any information gratefully received.

--
Jonathan