Re: Linking (chapter 6.4.3) probably underspecified

From: Neil Soiffer <neil.soiffer@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:33:31 -0700
To: Christoph LANGE <ch.lange@jacobs-university.de>
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>
According to [1], nested links are illegal.  Interestingly, if you use
nested links in Firefox or IE8, the status bar will show the nested link,
but clicking will only take you to outermost link.  Eg, try the following:

click me </a></td>
</a>

Based on this, I concur with David that the current behavior is correct.  A
clarification in chapter 6 would be useful though.

As for your attempt, I would liken it to wanted to be able to click on a
table frame and have it do something different than clicking on content in a
table.  I don't think many people would expect that to do something, and
(speaking for myself, not the MathML group), I don't think it is reasonable
to expect that MathML be able to do that.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, WebEQ, Equation
Editor ~

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.2.2