CfP: Third International Congress on Mathematical Software

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:52:26 +0100

The First Call for Papers of
The Third International Congress on Mathematical Software
   [ ICMS'2010 --- developers meeting ]

(November 30, 2009)

Dates: September 13 to 17 (Monday to Friday), 2010
Place: Department of Mathematics, Kobe University, Kobe, Japan
Webpage: http://www.mathsoftware.org/

This congress is the third in the series, where the first meeting was
held in
Beijing in 2002 and the previous one in Castro Urdiales, SPAIN in
2006; see
http://www.icms2006.unican.es/ . The first two meetings were satellite
to ICM (International Congress of Mathematicians). We will have a
booth at ICM 2010 in India.

We will welcome developers of mathematical software systems as well as
researchers in algorithms and mathematicians who are interested in the
development of mathematical software and systems. This is an almost
chance to meet people in different disciplines in mathematics and
science and exchange ideas on developments on mathematical software and
systems. While the main audience of this meeting is assumed to be
developers of
mathematical software and software systems, we welcome the
participation of
mathematicians and scientists who are interested in using mathematical
for their research.

The proceedings of the congress is planned and all reviewed papers and
communications will be published as Springer Lecture Notes in Computer
(The proceedings of ICMS 2006 was published as LNCS Volume 4151.)

Mathematics has a wide variety of branches. Despite this, we in the
International Congress on Mathematical Software believe that
mathematics is
fundamentally just one thing. Algebra, geometry and analysis are
examples of
separate specialities within mathematics, and of course we consider
each of
them valuable and hence study them. But we take the view that any
branch of
mathematics can borrow freely from these specialities. It is often
delving into them for ideas that might lead to fundamental new
The same can be said of mathematical software systems: the study of
mathematical software is a coherent whole. We believe that the
appearance of
mathematical software is a fundamentally new event in mathematics of
importance. Mathematical software systems are used to construct
examples, to
prove theorems, and to find new mathematical phenomena. Conversely,
research often motivates developments of new algorithms and new
systems. Beyond
mathematics, mathematical software systems are becoming indispensable
tools in
many branches of science and technology. The development of mathematical
software systems relies on the cooperation of mathematicians, algorithm
designers, programmers, and the feedback from users. The main audience
of this
congress is the community of mathematical software developers and
mathematicians, but we also intend to provide an opportunity to
discuss these
topics with mathematicians and users from application areas. Topics
include but
are not limited to:
1. Design and implementation of mathematical software
2. Software engineering problems for mathematical software.
3. Mathematics and media including user interfaces and integration of
    and software systems.
4. Mathematics related to mathematical software (experiments,
5. Scientific and high performance computing.
6. Applications of mathematical software.

* Thomas Hales, University of Pittsburgh, USA
* Masakazu Kojima, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
* Kurt Mehlhorn, Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Saarbruecken,
* William Stein, University of Washington, USA

This congress is comprised of some sessions devoted to different
Software issues as well as a general track. As a rule, the general
track will
/u/fukuda/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/GretchenParlato/
DSC_0039.JPGconsists of all accepted papers/presentations which do not
belong to any of the
sessions listed below. So far, the following sessions have been
Title: Computation of special functions
Organizer: Annie Cuyt
Title: Computer tools for mathematical editing and scientific
Organizer: Andres Iglesias, Setsuo Takato
Title: Exact numeric computation for algebraic and geometric computation
Organizer: Chee Yap, Michael Sagraloff, Monique Teillaud
Title: Methods in computational group theory
Organizer: Bettina Eick, Steve Linton
Title: Formal proof
Organizer: John Harrison, Freek Wiedijk
Title: Geometry and visualization
Organizer: Konrad Polthier
Title: Groebner bases and industrial applications
Organizer: Hidefumi Ohsugi
Title: Number theoretical software
Organizer: Shigenori Uchiyama, Ken Nakamula, Michael Pohst
Title: Software for optimization and polyhedral computation
Organizer: Achill Schuermann, Komei Fukuda, Michael Joswig
Title: Computer algebra and reliable computing
Organizer: Joris van den Hoeven
Title: Arts and mathematics
Organizer: Komei Fukuda, Vera Rosta
* If you have suggestions for new sessions, please contact one of
the program committee members or the general chair.

* March 8, 2010: Submission of papers/short communications begins
* May  10, 2010: Submission due of papers/short communications
* June 11, 2010: Notification of acceptance
* June 25, 2010: Submission due of camera-ready papers and short
* July 15, 2010: Early registration due

Nobuki Takayama (Kobe), general chair
Komei Fukuda (ETH), program committee cochair
Joris Van der Hoeven (Paris 11), program committee cochair
Michael Joswig (TU Darmstadt), program committee cochair
Masayuki Noro (Kobe), local organization chair

* Annie Cuyt, http://cant.ua.ac.be/people/annie.cuyt
* Komei Fukuda, http://www.ifor.math.ethz.ch/~fukuda/
* Tatsuyoshi Hamada, http://holst.sm.fukuoka-u.ac.jp/~hamada/
* John Harrison, http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~jrh13/
* Joris van der Hoeven, http://www.texmacs.org/joris/main/joris.html
* Andres Iglesias, http://personales.unican.es/iglesias/
* Michael Joswig, http://www.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/~joswig/
* Paul Libbrecht, http://www.activemath.org/~paul/
* Hidefumi Ohsugi, http://www.rkmath.rikkyo.ac.jp/~ohsugi/
* Michael Pohst, http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/~pohst/
* Konrad Polthier, http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/polthier/
* Shigenori Uchiyama <uchiyama-shigenori AT tmu.ac.jp>
* Freek Wiedijk, http://www.cs.ru.nl/~freek/
* Chee Yap, http://www.cs.nyu.edu/yap/

* Henk Barendregt, http://www.cs.ru.nl/~henk/
* Arjeh Cohen, http://www.win.tue.nl/~amc/
* Dan Grayson, http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~dan/
* Gert-Martin Greuel, http://www.mathematik.uni-kl.de/~greuel/en/
* Jean Lasserre, http://homepages.laas.fr/~lasserre/
* Bernard Mourrain, http://www-sop.inria.fr/members/Bernard.Mourrain/
* Ken Nakamula, http://tnt.math.metro-u.ac.jp/~nakamula/
* Bernd Sturmfels, http://math.berkeley.edu/~bernd/
* Jan Verschelde, http://www.math.uic.edu/~jan/
* Dongming Wang, http://www-salsa.lip6.fr/~wang/

We will accept original research papers (max 12 pages) or short
(max 3 pages). Short communications are expected to be research
or extended abstracts of original research. All submitted documents
will be
reviewed, and those accepted will be published as Springer Lecture
Notes in
Computer Science; see the LNCS Home Page www.springer.com/lncs .

This congress is comprised of some sessions devoted to different
Software issues as well as a general track. When submitting a paper,
check if it fits into the aims and scope of any session (see above for
current list of sessions). If so, submit your manuscript to a
submission server
by following the instructions in the webpage  http://www.mathsoftware.org/
The submission server is expected to accept submissions from March 8,

For any general questions regarding this congress, please contact:
(For questions on a particular session, please contact session

General Chair
Prof. Nobuki Takayama
Department of Mathematics
Kobe University
Rokko, Kobe 657-8501, Japan
E-mail: takayama AT math.kobe-u.ac.jp
Phone: +81-78-803-5604

PC Cochair
Prof. Komei Fukuda
Institute for Operations Research
ETH Zentrum, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
E-mail:fukuda AT ifor.math.ethz.ch
Phone: +41-44-632-4023

Local Organization Chair
Prof. Masayuki Noro