Re: [Entities-last-call] U02220-020D2 , five hexadecimal digits,...

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:20:50 GMT
To: matthias.mittelstein@sap.com
Cc: www-math@w3.org

> I prefer hexadecimal Unicode code point numbers to have four or six
> digits. May be that is old-fashioned and byte-oriented. But five digit
> numbers hurt my eyes especially in columns with the title "BMP".

In the editors draft we now use U+ notation consistently eg

http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007doc/sans-serif-bold-italic.html

The unicode standard, where it introduces this notation, says to only pad
with 0's if there are less than 4, so it seems 5 digits is the correct
form for the plane 1 characters, but we are now using 4 digts for BMP
references as you suggested, thanks.

http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/appA.pdf

> .... Leading zeros are omitted, unless the code point would have fewer
       than four hexadecimal digits for example, U+0001, U+0012, U+0123,
       U+1234, U+12345, U+102345.