[MathML3-last-call] Improving MathML internationalization capabilities

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:59:13 +0100
To: www-math@w3.org
CC: public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org

I'm writing you on behalf ITS IG (former ITS WG). We have reviewed
MathML3 LC especially in respect to internationalization capabilities
and Best practices for XML internationalization

Despite MathML content usually contains only language neutral
mathematical expression there are few issues related to
internationalization which we would like to see improved before going to

1. It should be possible to specify/change directionality of text on
mtext element using dir attribute (currently attribute is not allowed

For more background information see http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#DevDir

2. It should be possible to specify language of content using xml:lang
attribute at least on mtext and math elements.

For more background information see

3. It should be possible to specify directionality and language not only
 for whole mtext element but also for parts of text inside the element.
For example for cases when mtext contains English text with foreign
phrase inside etc. This can be easily accomplished by adding child
element to mtext (e.g. span, mspan, phrase, ...) which can have dir,
xml:lang and any number of other foreign attributes (e.g. ITS local
markup). Such element should allow nesting to handle rare cases where
more scripts are mixed at the same time.

<mtext xml:lang="en">In Hebrew, the title
     <mspan xml:lang="he"
     dir="rtl">פעילות הבינאום, W3C</mspan>
     means Internationalization Activity, W3C.</mtext>

4. It should be possible to specify Ruby annotation inside mtext. This
can be accomplished by allowing ruby markup inside mtext:

We are looking forward to your response and wish you success with your
important specification.

			Jirka Kosek
			on behalf of ITS IG