Re: MathML browser test page

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:34:33 +0100
To: joe.java@eyeasme.com
Cc: www-math@w3.org

> Looking at how Opera 10 Beta 2 displays the page I noticed that common
> xml-entity names like $nbsp; and &leq; are not
> displayed.

> Is there a list of "safe" xml-entity names?&nbsp;

Opera must be defaulting the xhtml entity definitions for the xhtml mime
type (or references to an xhtml dtd?) The xhtml definitions are the same
as the html ones, and more or less (but not always) the same as the
mathml definitions, when the names are the same.

But in general you could not rely on this, there are only five
predefined entities in XML (lt gt amp quot apos) so only those are
"safe" (and you never need to use gt and rarely need to use quot or apos)