RE: Where do the "default renderings" in spec chapter 4 come from?

Hi.

Thomas' position below is more or less my view too.  A suggested rendering in a world of many languages and notational conventions is inherently inadequate, and that to do better is going to involve custom XSL transforms or something like that.  At a conceptual level, any system that seeks to display mathematics to readers using the conventions most familiar to them has to start from an abstract semantic representation and transform it to a presentational representation based on the profile of the reader.

MathML has gone farther than most to provide the basic ingredients in this picture in the form of presentation and content MathML, I think, but it is still a challenging task.  Over the years there has been much discussion of whether MathML itself should try to provide the transformation machinery itself, and there are some arguments to be made for that.  But at present, using standard technologies like XSLT is still the way to go.

As far as where the default rendering came from, what David has previously written is true, and lots of people have worked on them and made suggestions over the years.  However, I think that I am probably originally responsible for quite a few of them, which accounts for the bias towards notations popular in the US.

Seems like the implication of this discussion is that we should try harder to make it clear in the spec that the default renderings are sample renderings, and that doing a really good job of presentation requires something like the picture outlined above.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner
W3C Math WG co-chair
Vice President, Research and Development

Design Science, Inc.
140 Pine Avenue, 4th Floor
Long Beach, California 90802
USA