Re: Rendering primes/learning MathML

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:10:53 +0100
To: www-math@w3.org
Cc: dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org, www-math@w3.org

> I think the "advice" was not sufficiently clear in the version 2 spec.

No doubt, which is why the question comes up so often. Will try to get
something into version 3 (somewhere, not quite sure where, ch 6 perhaps?)

> > diacritics generally, deote some mathematical operation being
> > applied to the base.

> Often but not always.

In the case of diacritics, if you want to denote a "variable with an
accented name" then you can use a single mi, with a unicode accented
character, either a pre-composed one or using a combined diacritic)
<mi>a&#x0307;</mi> for example (dotted a used as an identifier. But I
don't think there's really a good way of saying that a variable should
be called a-prime <mi>a'</mi> I suppose is the analogue, but I'm not
sure that really has the desired effect.