Re: menclose: several values in the "notation" attribute

From: Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:38:22 -0400
To: fred.wang@free.fr
Cc: www-math@w3.org

fred.wang@free.fr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to add support for <menclose/> in Firefox and I wonder what should be
> displayed when several values are given to the "notation" attribute. What I
> think is that order and repetition of the values don't matter: "box circle box"
> is the same as "box circle" or "circle box". Is it right?

Interesting question
[... that the WG should sort out for MathML 3 :> ]

My first inclination would be to think of them as
nesting (a box around a circle around the content,
versus a circle around a box around the content),
simply because it is hard to see (and harder to specify)
how many of the various pairs should overlap
(eg. how should "radical roundedbox" look?)

OTOH, I suspect the original intention was that
they would overlap (in which case the order doesn't
matter), since that can create many more effects
than we would want to list as explicit values.

Further, nesting can easily, and more clearly,
be done simply by nesting <menclose>'s.

If this is the concensus of the WG, we at least
should clarify this.

speaking for myself,
bruce

--