Re: Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

From: Michael Kohlhase <m.kohlhase@jacobs-university.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 07:41:50 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov>, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Bruce Miller wrote:
>
>> I personally think the most compelling case for annotations, especially
>> in a web context, is to provide presentation MathML for display to
>> humans, along with the corresponding content MathML (when available) for
>> export to applications (or perhaps for audio rendering, or ...).
>>

> I agree, but that isn't a problem we're trying to solve for HTML5:
>
>    http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/New_Vocabularies
>
> Nobody includes the equivalent of content MathML when writing their papers
> using LaTeX. Why would they do so with HTML?

As I said in the other thread, e.g. for search engines that feed on
content representations. In our interactions with Math publishers there
seemed to be interest in this.

Michael

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase@jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007