Re: Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

On Mar 29, 2008, at 22:21, Ian Hickson wrote:
> <semantics> and <annotation-xml> are nice in theory, I agree, but
> are they
> really necessary?

I think there's a great opportunity to use annotation-xml for tree
builder scoping in a way that would create Gecko-compatible DOM trees--
like a foreignObject in SVG. I'm skeptical about using annotation-xml
for actual annotations, though. (I really don't like using
<annotation>/<annotation-xml> for smuggling proprietary or product-
specific syntactic alternative for round-tripping that actually
ignores MathML on import.)

> Something else that would be useful is a summary of the MathML
> schema. I
> couldn't find anything human-readable in the MathML specs, and the
> DTD is
> not optimised for casual reading. Is there anything like that
> available?

There's a RELAX NG Compact Syntax schema for MathML 2.0 in
Validator.nu's source repository (derived from Yutaka Furubayashi's
RELAX NG schema; converted to RNC and tweaked by me for browser compat
and annotation-xml subtrees). You may find it more readable than a DTD.
svn co http://svn.versiondude.net/whattf/validator/trunk/schema/mml2/
mml2

--
Henri Sivonen