Re: consistency of 2007doc entities and Unicode Technical Report#25

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:19:21 +0100
To: w3@karlt.net
CC: www-math@w3.org

Karl,

Back in January you  sent some comments on the xml entities draft.

the new editors draft (which we hope to move to be a public WD in TR
space before long) addresses most of your comments I hope.

http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007doc/overview.html

> I notice that several mathematical bracket entities have changed
> from using CJK punctuation character to new mathematical
> characters, consistent with UTR recommendation here
> ..

> However there appear to be a few similar entities that have not
> been changed.

> lang, LeftAngleBracket, langle still refer to U+2329, and
> rang, RightAngleBracket, rangle to U+232A.

These were kept for html compatibility, but a recent thread on www-html
has highlighted that html5 draft had made this change, so I've made the
same change, and in fact the html 5 draft now extracts the definitions
from the unicode.xml file in the entities distribution.

> OverParenthesis, UnderParenthesis, OverBrace, UnderBrace still use
> CJK compatibility forms U+FE35 to U+FE39, but there are now
> mathematical forms available.

> U+23DC TOP PARENTHESIS
> U+23DD BOTTOM PARENTHESIS
> U+23DE TOP CURLY BRACKET
> U+23DF BOTTOM CURLY BRACKET

changed as you suggested.

> What do lbbrk and rbbrk (left/right broken bracket) represent?
> Are they plain tortoise shell brackets or filled tortoise shell
> brackets or something else?

Looking at the PDF of the ISO 9573-13 report which defines these (which
sadly is not public) it's clear they were intended to be "thin" so I
have changed as you (and TR 25) suggested.

> The updated entity definitions have changed these from CJK
> punctuation characters U+3014 LEFT TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET and
> U+3015 RIGHT TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET (which are usually unfilled?)
> to U+2997 LEFT BLACK TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET and U+2998 RIGHT BLACK
> TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET (which are wider).
>
> "For ordinary tortoise-shell brackets, the use of U+2772 LIGHT LEFT
> TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET ORNAMENT and U+2773 LIGHT RIGHT TORTOISE
> SHELL BRACKET ORNAMENT is recommended for mathematical use."

David