Representing Cancelations of Terms in Fractions

From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:33:16 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

I'm working with education publishers on developing XML
representations of things like textbooks and test prep manuals. These
publishers are using primarily InDesign with InMath to author their
equations. I can capture the raw InDesign data and InMath is working
on an XML representation that captures the structure of the equations
in a form that is almost MathML presentation.

But, one sticking point is the representation of equations with
canceled terms, such as fractions where common terms are shown
canceled with a diagonal strike out.

My understanding from reading the MathML 2 spec is that this can be
represented using the menclose element with a notation of
"updiagonalstrike" or "downdiagonalstrike". However, it's not
rendered in Firefox and I can't MathType or Amaya to create anything
other than a long division type enclosure.

My questions are:

1. is my understanding of menclose and *diagonalstrike correct in
that this is the intended way to represent strikeouts in MathML?

2. Is there any MathML renderer that will render diagonal strikeouts

Eliot Kimber
Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 610.631.6770