Representing Cancelations of Terms in Fractions

From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:33:16 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

I'm working with education publishers on developing XML
representations of things like textbooks and test prep manuals. These
publishers are using primarily InDesign with InMath to author their
equations. I can capture the raw InDesign data and InMath is working
on an XML representation that captures the structure of the equations
in a form that is almost MathML presentation.

But, one sticking point is the representation of equations with
canceled terms, such as fractions where common terms are shown
canceled with a diagonal strike out.

My understanding from reading the MathML 2 spec is that this can be
represented using the menclose element with a notation of
"updiagonalstrike" or "downdiagonalstrike". However, it's not
rendered in Firefox and I can't MathType or Amaya to create anything
other than a long division type enclosure.

My questions are:

1. is my understanding of menclose and *diagonalstrike correct in
that this is the intended way to represent strikeouts in MathML?

2. Is there any MathML renderer that will render diagonal strikeouts
today?

Thanks,

Eliot

--