Re: Supporting MathML and SVG in text/html, and related topics

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:28:06 -0500
To: juan@canonicalscience.com
CC: public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org

juan@canonicalscience.com wrote:
> Since now a CSS profile for MathML is under development with main
> browser rendering MathML via CSS now. This is not longer an issue.

Some very simple MathML can be emulated via existing and proposed CSS.

I have yet to see someone propose CSS that would allow the MathML equivalent of:

   \left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)

in a reasonable way, complete with stretchy parentheses and square root.

> http://www.w3.org/TR/mathml-for-css/
>
> and I see Opera and WebKit are now rendering MathML via CSS.

A limited subset of it, yes.

This is not to say that we must do MathML; I have no opinion on that.  I'd just
like to correct some misconceptions about the "MathML via CSS" thing that
unfortunately seem very common...

-Boris