Re: rendering of control characters, was:: Supporting MathML and SVG in text/html, and related topics

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, David Carlisle wrote:

> I wrote
>
> > HTML 5 appears to follow XML 1.1 in banning these control characters
> > as character data
>
> I see I was wrong there, and html5 defines
>
> U+000B LINE TABULATION, U+000C FORM FEED (FF),
>
> as space characters thus _does_ allow them as character data.
>
> However I don't see anywhere any warning that these can't be serialised
> in an XML 1.0 serialisation,

There is no such generic advice so far, though this section:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#innerhtml1

...provides such advice in the context of innerHTML. The short answer is
that in some cases (quite a number of them in fact) you just can't
serialise the document as XML 1.0.

> nor advice on how they are supposed to be rendered.

That will come in the rendering section in due course. In CSS rendering
engines, CSS covers this.