Re: "/>" (was Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:24:25 +0300
To: Neil Soiffer <Neils@dessci.com>

On Apr 3, 2008, at 20:59, Neil Soiffer wrote:
> I'm getting a little confused.  It seems like the following is true:
>
> 	 <script/> is treated like <script> in all browsers -- it will
> match against </script>

Yes.

> 	 In all browsers, an unclosed script is not executed

At least for contemporary values of all.

> 	 Firefox v1 and v2 differ in how they treat unterminated scripts,
> but that difference is irrelevant for this case.

It changed between 2 and 3, but yes.

> It seems like the consensus is that for MathML and SVG namespaces
> (and maybe any non-HTML namespace), <foo/> should be considered
> empty.  Nothing breaks in HTML because of this, and it enables
> MathML, SVG, and other XML-based syntaxes.  Assuming that is true,
> that seems like a very positive development from this thread.

Yes, /> needs to be honored for MathML and SVG elements but must not
be honored for HTML elements. /> is still allowed in validation for
void HTML elements. (So the validator complains about <div/> but not
about <br/>.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi