Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote on 04/03/2008 05:20:55 PM:

> I now have some rough notes of what I think we can do to the parser to
> handle SVG and MathML here:
>
>    http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/New_Vocabularies_Solution

My quick read indicates that this suffers the same issue that you
previously referred to as 'fatal' when Henri suggested using <math> as a
trigger.  I think it could be improved by an additional check for an
attribute named xmlns; and furthermore wonder if that additional check were
in place would a check on the element name even be necessary.

I also don't see anything which would begin to address xlink.

This proposal makes references to "case fixups" and lists specific which
implies to me that it is tightly coupled to snapshot of these specific
vocabularies as they exist at the moment.  A consequence of that decision
is that this vocabulary may need to be updated every time those
vocabularies are revised.

As such, I don't believe that this meets the stated requirement of "Ability
for an author to unilaterally extend the language to address problems we
are currently unaware of and that therefore are not covered by existing
functionality".  Simply specing that this "in namespace" state is case
sensitive and triggering transitions based on an attribute named xmlns
would go a long way towards addressing this requirement.

- Sam Ruby