"/>" (was Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

From: Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:29:42 -0400
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>, Neil Soiffer <Neils@dessci.com>, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Indeed. I think supporting "/>" in SVG subtrees is a must. MathML
> subtrees probably, too. I don't expect drastic compat problems, since
> tree differences shouldn't propagate too far with subsequent end tags
> taking care of things.

A minor question:
Is handling <whatevertag/> in HTML5 really a problem?
If the tag ends with />, just note that the element is empty
(ie. has no content, whether or not it is officially an empty element),
and move on.

_Surely_, no one out there is writing HTML using <whatevertag/>
when they _dont_ mean to close the element?!?!?!
(rolling my eyes :> )

But, I guess Hixie will have noticed if anyone _is_ doing that.

--
bruce.miller@nist.gov
http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/