Re: The mapping of phi

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 07:32:53 -0700
To: Neil Soiffer <Neils@dessci.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org

Neil Soiffer wrote:

> That even sort of applies if you use the Unicode value for the
> character.  Because Unicode changed the glyph associated with the code,
> any font that was developed and not updated before that change has the
> wrong character at the &phi and &phiv positions.

I'm sorry. What happened?!

This makes no sense at all. Unicode does not define *any* glyphs for
*any* characters, and never has. It maps abstract characters to code
points. That's all. What glyph is used for those characters is a font
choice. Unicode cannot change a glyph becuase it never assigned a glyph
in the first place.

I suppose different printings of various books may use different fonts,
but this is in no way normative.

> So, depending upon the
> font, the glyph for 3c5 may be a GREEK SMALL LETTER PHI (an "open" curly
> phi) or GREEK PHI SYMBOL (a "straight" phi).  See [7] for more details.

Possibly, but none of this changes the fact that &#x03c5; is the Greek
small letter upsilon. I suppose you meant &#x03C6; ? In Unicode that's
the small Greek letter phi, whatever glyph is assigned.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!