Wish for MathML 3: Discourage named entities

From: Max Berger <max@berger.name>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:16:41 +0200
To: www-math@w3.org
Dear MathML developers,

and here's yet another point I would like to see addressed:

MathML defines many named entities (such as &InvisibleTimes;). These
entities are only valid if the MathML DTD is included in the
document, and the documents are standalone documents. This is noted
in the MathML 2 spec at 6.2.1. However, this location is not
prominent enough. I've ran across many MathML documents which used
these entities but did not declare the doctype - most notable
all .mml files in the MathML testsuite. Now the users complain that
their document does not get rendered - and all I can answer them is
what they have is not valid MathML.

I would therefore like it to be more clear in the spec that the named
entities are only valid in standalone MathML document with a dtd.
Users can not use the generated MathML code in their embedded
examples without modification. I would like to see it discouraged to
use named entities except for cases where a "readable" notation of
MathML is needed.

Max Berger
e-mail: max@berger.name

--
PGP/GnuPG ID: E81592BC   Print: F489F8759D4132923EC4
BC7E072AB73AE81592BC