RE: Question to pMathML

From: Robert Miner <robertm@dessci.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:00:00 -0800
To: <c.mueller@jacobs-university.de>
Cc: <www-math@w3.org>

Hi.

0xaf alias &macr; alias &OverBar; is the right character.

(BTW, &oline; is an HTML entity name, and not included in the MathML DTD.  Maybe it doesn't matter in your context, but #x203E; is a lot more portable. Also, it isn't stretchy.)

Both MathPlayer and Firefox will both render

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
   <mrow>
      <mover>
        <mrow>
           <mi>x</mi>
           <mo>+</mo>
           <mi>y</mi>
        </mrow>
        <mo>&OverBar;</mo>
      </mover>
   </mrow>
</math>

with a stretchy horizontal bar.  However, you have to be careful.  If you put in an extra mrow about the OverBar, then Firefox won't stretch it anymore.  That is

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
   <mrow>
      <mover>
        <mrow>
           <mi>x</mi>
           <mo>+</mo>
           <mi>y</mi>
        </mrow>
        <mrow>
          <mo>&OverBar;</mo>
        </mrow>
      </mover>
   </mrow>
</math>

will only render with the bar properly stretched in MathPlayer, and not in Firefox.  This looks like a bug in Firefox.  Specifically, the implementation of "embellished operators" is wrong, since the wrapping mrow should have no effect on the stretching of the bar, though it obviously does.

I've appended my test page below.

--Robert

Robert Miner
Vice President, Research and Development

Design Science, Inc.
140 Pine Avenue, 4th Floor
Long Beach, California  90802
USA
Tel:  (651) 223-2883
Fax:  (651) 292-0014
robertm@dessci.com
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, WebEQ, Equation Editor, TexAide ~

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
               "http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd">
<head>
 <title>A MathML template</title>
</head>