W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-math@w3.org > May 2007

Re: MathML won't display (or: what triggers mathplayer behaviour?)

From: Chris Chiasson <chris@chiasson.name>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:55:36 -0500
Message-ID: <acbec1a40705301355p50f2e09fo3badf7113ebf2597@mail.gmail.com>
To: R.W.Kaye@bham.ac.uk
Cc: www-math@w3.org

If it isn't too much trouble, could you provide a link to the solution
(for the archives)?

On 5/30/07, Richard Kaye <R.W.Kaye@bham.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Dear all
>
> I have finally succeeded in getting my blog server to emit
>  Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml
> in the HTTP header.  This was with quite a lot of help from
> the support group for Tomcat and David Czarnecki who wrote
> the blog software (blojsom) I am using.  The details aren't
> particularly important, except to say that it was necessary to
> treat XML data as binary data and output it to a stream rather
> than a text Writer.  (Java supports all the usual encodings so
> it is almost trivial to support those other than the default
> UTF-8. This will be done.)
>
> I've tested it all quickly and it seems to work on all the
> platforms and browsers I have available, including IE+MathPLlayer.
> You can try it yourself at
>
> http://mat140.bham.ac.uk:8180/blojsom/blog/default/?flavor=xhtmlplusmathml
>
> (The output is legible, but I still need to do some design tweaks.
> You are not supposed to worry about those details right now.)
>
> I learnt a lot in the process :) Thanks everyone for your interest
> and help!
>
> Richard
>
>
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 14:59 -0400, Waters, Michael, Springer US wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > Recent tests on serving static .xhtml files led me to agree with Richard's assessment: the problem with MathPlayer not being triggered "is due to the presence of "; charset=utf-8" or something in the server's Content-Type header".
> >
> > Just now I confirmed that observation by alternately adding and removing a "AddCharset UTF-8" directive to Apache's httpd.conf file. By adding that 1 directive, stopping/starting the server, >>AND<< removing the local browser cache, not just refreshing the page, I was able to prevent the triggering of MathPlayer on the simplest MathML demo page, thereby showing the XML tree. To re-enable the correct MathPlayer behavior, I removed the directive, stoppped/started the server, >>AND<< removed the local browser cache, going back to the default application/xhtml+xml MIME type for .xhtml and .xht files.
> >
> > I haven't looked closely at various registry settings and I'm no web server expert, but these quick tests indicate to me that "application/xhtml+xml" works in IE6+MathPlayer, but "application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8" is problematic. (I haven't yet tested IE7.)
> >
> > ----
> > Mike Waters
> > Springer
> > Process and Content Management
> > ----
> > 233 Spring St. | New York, NY 10013 | USA
> > Tel: +1 212 620-8457
> > Fax: +1 212 647-1898
> > mike.waters@springer.com
> > ----
> > www.springer.com
> > www.springerlink.com
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: www-math-request@w3.org
> > > [mailto:www-math-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Robert Miner
> > > Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:49 AM
> > > To: Jacques Distler
> > > Cc: R.W.Kaye@bham.ac.uk; www-math@w3.org; William F. Hammond
> > > Subject: RE: MathML won't display (or: what triggers
> > > mathplayer behaviour?)
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi Jacques,
> > >
> > > There isn't a direct connection between the charset and the XML tree.
> > > But just as IE doesn't seem to always follow the rules for determining
> > > the encoding, it also does not play by the rules for determining the
> > > MIME type (as I'm sure you know).
> > >
> > > The XML tree shows up when IE doesn't believe the http header's
> > > declaration that the MIME type is application/xhtml+xml and doesn't
> > > start up MathPlayer.  Somewhere later on, it must realize the document
> > > is XML at least, since it displays the tree.  But at the point it is
> > > supposed to invoke MathPlayer if the MIME type is
> > > application/xhtml+xml,
> > > the call never comes, at least as far as I can determine by setting a
> > > breakpoint in the relevant routine in the debugger.
> > >
> > > We had been experimenting with the charset parameter, on the
> > > hypothesis
> > > that somehow that might be preventing IE from recognizing the MIME
> > > declaration in the http header. But it doesn't seem to.
> > > Mostly it seems
> > > like if the document is dynamically generated, so there isn't a file
> > > name in the http header, IE just sniffs the content and get's it wrong
> > > for purposes of firing off MathPlayer.  At least that is what the
> > > experimental evidence seems to suggest to me.
> > >
> > > I thought perhaps Richard's comment about the BOM meant that if there
> > > was a BOM, suddenly IE's sniffer did the right thing and
> > > recognized the
> > > content as application/xhtml+xml and fired up MathPlayer.  But I guess
> > > not.
> > >
> > > --Robert
> > >
> > > Robert Miner
> > > Director, New Product Development
> > >
> > > Design Science, Inc.
> > > 140 Pine Avenue, 4th Floor
> > > Long Beach, California  90802
> > > USA
> > > Tel:  (651) 223-2883
> > > Fax:  (651) 292-0014
> > > robertm@dessci.com
> > > www.dessci.com
> > > ~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, WebEQ, Equation Editor,
> > > TexAide ~
> >
> >
>
>
>


-- 
http://chris.chiasson.name/
Received on Wednesday, 30 May 2007 20:55:44 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Saturday, 20 February 2010 06:12:59 GMT