RE: MathML won't display (or: what triggers mathplayer behaviour?)

From: Waters, Michael, Springer US <Mike.Waters@springer.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:37:15 -0400
To: Jacques Distler <distler@golem.ph.utexas.edu>
Cc: Robert Miner <robertm@dessci.com>, R.W.Kaye@bham.ac.uk, www-math@w3.org, "William F. Hammond" <hammond@math.albany.edu>

> Just for the record, if the encoding is something other than UTF-8,
> then you can't dispense with the <?xml?> prolog.

Yes, thanks. In today's world, UTF-8 is the only reasonable encoding for us in an i18n context. But I can't tell you how many problems I've come across in recent years were because some system, be it an API, a language, or a database, defaulted to an encoding of, say, Western (ISO-8859-1). Things are getting better, but I'm always wary of proper handling of UTF-8 when our data is moved from system to system.