RE: Contributing to MathML 3 ?

Thanks Max,

It'll take me a bit to go through all the points you list here, but I
wanted to quickly respond to

> And, last but not least, a comment on <mu>:
> What would be the exact difference of rendering <mu> and <mtext>?

None, as far as I can see.  That is the major reason for not adding a
<mu> tag.  It's only purpose would really be semantic, to identify its
contents as a unit.  But as we are talking about presentation MathML, I
don't see that as a strong justification.  This is the same line of
reasoning that lead the authors of the Units in MathML Note to suggest
indicating units with a class attribute.  The Note suggests using <mi
mathvariant="normal"> since units function as identifiers.  But of
course, it is also perfectly valid to use <mtext> in which case the
mathvariant is unnecessary.

--Robert

Robert Miner
Director, New Product Development
W3C Math WG co-chair

Design Science, Inc.
140 Pine Avenue, 4th Floor
Long Beach, California  90802
USA
Tel:  (651) 223-2883
Fax:  (651) 292-0014
robertm@dessci.com
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, WebEQ, Equation Editor,
TexAide ~