RE: Trignametric functions in xsl

Hi.

I see the problem.  The sin and cos functions in the MathML schema are
not hooked up to a calculation engine in XSL processors.  They could be,
of course, but they aren't part of XPath and no XSL processors I know of
extend XPath with mathematical functions such as sin and cos.

More formally, the XSL spec says that the value of the select attribute
on a <xsl:valueof> element must be an XPath Expr, and XPath only has a
very limited list of functions that can be applied to numbers, e.g.
round, mod, basic arithmetic, etc.

Depending on the accuracy you need, you could approximate sin and cos
with a few terms of their power series.  The basic arithmetic in XPath
is sufficient to calculate those approximations.

--Robert

Robert Miner
Director, New Product Development
w3C Math WG co-chair

Design Science, Inc.
140 Pine Avenue, 4th Floor
Long Beach, California  90802
USA
Tel:  (651) 223-2883
Fax:  (651) 292-0014
robertm@dessci.com
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, WebEQ, Equation Editor,
TexAide ~

Microsoft.